Do you know what the best thing about neutral area rugs is?
It’s that they transition season-to-season like little (or I guess big) chameleons.
You can add fall, holiday, spring, and summer all around them, and they just keep fitting in.
They really will take whatever color you want to throw their way.
And because of this, neutral rugs are definitely what make up most of our rugs throughout our home.
I’m rounding up 15 of the best neutral area rugs & where to buy them below.
Bonus- we have 5 of the 15 in our home, so I’m sharing photos of them in their natural habitat below :-).
You can tap any image below to shop the photo.
the best neutral area rugs:
1. Lulu & Georgia Stripe Break Rug (currently on sale!) This rug has been a favorite of mine for YEARS. When we did a refresh in our guest bedroom a few years back, I contemplated using it. I love it for just about anywhere in a home.
2. Rifle Paper Company x Loloi Mason Bough (currently on sale!)
The Mason Bough, shown above, is the rug we currently have in our guest bedroom, and it is such a pretty neutral! It would also be so pretty in a nursery or older girl’s bedroom.
3. McGee & Co. Pembroke Hand Knotted Rug This is another rug that I have had my eyes on forever. When it is time for a new rug in my kitchen, this will be it. It is SO pretty. It really is the perfect pattern neutral rug!
The Chunky Jute Rug is shown above in our dining nook. I LOVE it for this space, as it is great for hiding dirt and spills, and we don’t walk on it often. I wouldn’t recommend it for a main living space though as it is not soft underfoot.
5. Lulu & Georgia Rehya Rug (currently on sale!) Another neutral patterned rug I have been in love with for years. I love this in a bathroom, kitchen, bedroom or living room.
6. West Elm Jute Chenille Herringbone Rug (currently on sale) I had a West Elm rug that was very similar to this one for years in my entryway. I love the low pile, durable jute, and the fact that it was great at hiding dirt. Perfect for a mudroom or entryway.
In my opinion the Pottery Barn Chunky Wool Jute Rug is the best neutral area rug of all time. Bold statement, right?!?
Well, we have had this neutral area rug in a 9×12 in our living room for over 5 years. It is the perfect neutral, super soft, incredibly durable, and still looks amazing years later. Highly recommend.
8. Serena & Lily Tulum Rug (currently on sale) I almost ordered this rug a couple of years ago for our dining nook, but went with number 4 above instead. I still love it (and kept the sample I ordered,) so maybe I will find a spot for it someday!
The Loloi Skye rug above was in our den/office last holiday/winter. It is a pretty neutral with a bit of dark green.
10. Pottery Barn Chunky Loop Sweater Rug (currently on sale!) Does it get any cozier than a rug with the name sweater rug?!? I don’t think so. A pretty cream rug that is very similar to my living room rug (#7 above.)
11. Pottery Barn Nicolette Wool Rug I have a runner in my kitchen that I LOVE. Sadly, it is no longer available, but it is almost identical to this rug. When I was making my kitchen rug decision, it actually came down to this rug and the one I ended up choosing. I could not recommend a wool, neutral rug in a kitchen any more! It both warms up the space visually and physically!
12. Chris Loves Julia x Loloi Polly Rug I’m considering this rug for my daughter’s room. Cozy and the perfect warm neutral.
13. Serena & Lily Diamond Jute Rug I love the added texture that the diamond pattern adds to this otherwise neutral area rug! And it’s made of hand-braided jute that is extra soft!
14. McGee & Co. Matson Rug This would be a fun rug for a laundry or mudroom!
And last, but definitely not least, the Rosemarie Area rug. We have this pretty neutral area rug in a 6×9′ in our den/office, shown above.
Wondering where something is from? You can tap any image above to shop the look. You can also shop my home here.
And if you aren’t finding the perfect neutral rug above, here are some of my favorite places to shop for area rugs online: