Today is all about How To Decorate With Throw Pillows: 8 Pillow Combinations. A change of pillows is such an easy way to get a new look in your space each season. Sharing how I use the same assortment of pillows to get 8 different looks. Find tips and sources at the bottom!
pillow combination #1
In the pillow combo above, I used black, neutral and blush as my color combination. The addition of a cozy throw makes this look suitable for winter into spring. I love the combination of a large print, stripe and a smaller print in this look.
pillow combination #2
In our next look, I used similar colors to look number one- a pretty gray, cream and blush. This look doesn’t have a chunky blanket, so to me it has a cleaner, more-spring-like look. I like the pretty florals mixed with a geometric print in this look.
pillow combination #3
With this next look, I used a combination of black, green and white for my color scheme. The added texture and warmth with the addition of the throw blanket helps this combo feel more winter-like. I used a larger scale stripe, smaller scale stripe, and geometric print in this combo. This look could transition to spring with just one simple change, like shown in our next combo.
pillow combination #4
With pillow combo #4 I also used black, green and white but added in a blue pillow. With the addition of blue, this combo takes you right in to spring! Again, I used a large stripe, smaller stripe and geometric print.
pillow combination #5
Continuing with my favorite green pillow, this time with the addition of blush and cream. This beautiful combo works from winter into spring and even summer. This combo has a mix of small print, large print and a stripe.
pillow combination #6
Again, a large print mixed with a small print and striped pillow works with this combo. I love the combination of soft blue, gray and touch of blush with the lumbar pillow. Such a pretty combo.
pillow combination #7
With this combo, I used the print on the large pillow as a jumping off point. The print has blue, browns and cream. I then mixed in a stripe and geometric print using these colors. I love the unexpected use of the color brown in this combo. This combo would work for spring to summer to even fall.
pillow combination #8
In combination #8, I used the same large pillow as number 7. I achieved a completely different look by just using coordinating blues instead of the browns. Again, the pillows are all prints, but because I used a smaller floral, larger geometric, and stripe it all works.
tips for combining pillows:
- When styling pillows, use a combination of sizes. In the photos above, I started with a large 24″ pillow, and layered in a 20″ pillow and a smaller lumbar for dimension.
- Invest in good inserts. With most of my pillows, I like to use a pillow insert 2″ bigger than the pillow. These Pottery Barn Pillow Inserts are what I use.
- Pay attention to the scale of pattern on the pillow. If you are using a small print, don’t mix it with another small print. Instead, bring in a pillow with a larger scale print, stripe or a solid.
- Mix textures. If your pillows don’t have different textures, bring in a throw blanket that does.
- I like the idea of picking 3 colors for your combination. Pick colors from your home’s current decor. Artwork and rugs are a good jumping off point.
- If you are really struggling with mixing patterns, a solid, stripe and floral are always a safe bet.
- And most importantly, have fun with it! It is your home, be creative!
If you missed my last blog post, you can find it here: Current Obsessions: My Favorite Things This Week
Leave a Reply